Saturday, September 7, 2013

Reentry and Jet Lag

I reentered the country known as the United States of America last Friday with an initial stopover in NYC.  I instantly knew I was in my home country when I was no longer the loudest person in the room.  This was a surprisingly refreshing experience for me.  In Yangon where I spent the summer, I was always the loudest person in the room by a long shot.  There were other Americans there to be sure, but I tend to be loud anyway, even for an American.  The Burmese are generally a quieter group of people overall.  In spite of this, I think even they grew to love my loudness.

American culture is different, one of the main things I’ve noticed is our reliance on meat for almost every meal.  One of the first things I did upon my return was to go to two different barbeques on Labor Day.  Granted, this was a holiday and as Jim Gaffigan put it so eloquently, “I don’t normally have a hot dog, a hamburger, and a steak, but it’s the 4th of July.  It’s what the founding fathers would have wanted.”  Needless to say, there was a whole lot of meat at these get togethers.  Probably more than I had seen all summer as a matter of fact.  We had meat in Myanmar of course, just not to the extent that it is within the American diet.

In addition to cookouts, I have eaten more meat this past week than I have probably the entire summer.  I eat it when I go out to eat with friends or even when I go out to eat by myself.  Yes, I go out to eat by myself because I generally don’t like to cook all that much, at least when it’s just for me.  I find I end up eating the same thing for four or more meals in a row if I cook for myself because of all the leftovers.  All this meat consumption can’t be good for my health, at least according to some documentaries I saw before I left for the summer.  My loving girlfriend even got me a cookbook that goes along with one of the movies with a bunch of vegan recipes.  I have yet to open the book, hopefully this next week.

On Sunday morning, I informed my friends that I hadn’t missed at all their endless discussions about guns.  That seems to be a fairly prominent discussion on Sunday mornings before we all go in to the theaters to help set up for church later that day.  My friends seem to be obsessed with guns for some reason; I have yet to figure out why.  It is a common topic of discussion, one that I’m usually left out of due to my ‘liberal’ views on the matter.


I’ve been jet lagging pretty badly this past week too.  I find myself sleeping almost all the time it seems like.  I’ve always told people if you go east to west that jet lag isn’t as bad, but I’m finding it particularly difficult to adjust to this time around for some reason.  It started on Friday night in NYC when I slept for 12 straight hours.  I thought surely after that I’d be fine but as it turns out I’ve been catching up seemingly all week.  I’m finding it difficult not to stay up too late and sleep in the next day in particular.  Sometimes I even take 4 hour naps; which aren’t really naps at that point, are they?

No comments: