Friday, September 6, 2013

Freedom and healthcare

Allow me to lay some background as to where I’m coming from on this argument.  I have a mental illness called bipolar disorder.  As such, I’ve been denied health coverage by 7 out of 7 health insurance carriers over the past month.  I just applied for another insurance company who made me fill out an application for 40 or 45 minutes and to which I’ll probably end up denied anyway.  I understand completely some people’s problem with Obamacare.  However, there are some parts that I don’t think we should completely abandon.

The main part of Obamacare that I’d like to see kept is the idea behind an insurance carrier not being able to turn you down on account of a preexisting condition.  This idea hits home for me in light of what I already mentioned, again, 7 out of 7; some might say I’m batting a thousand, right?  Why should I be denied coverage on a preexisting condition?  Doesn’t that mean I actually need healthcare in the first place?  Why would a perfectly healthy person need healthcare outside of catastrophes? 

This brings up some other issues, doesn’t it?  In my view, healthcare shouldn’t be a system based on profit.  My lovely Senator Rubio argues for market based reforms but neglects to go into how those would work exactly.  Here’s a crazy idea, people with chronic illness will NOT work with the market!  The health insurance company has to lose money on us!  Do you know how much it costs for me to get my monthly medication?!  It costs me roughly $600 for 3 psychiatric medications without insurance.  $600!!!  How in the world is my health insurance company supposed to make money off that?  It is simply impossible without a $1,000 a month premium on a single person.

Why should people make a profit off of people’s health and well-being?  It simply doesn’t make sense.  It doesn’t reek of that grand old American ideal of freedom to me.  It costs around $5,000 to even have a baby in this country, according to a couple friends and a news reporter who I saw on TV once who did a special on it.  That’s with insurance!!!  $5,000 to just have a baby, are you kidding me?!


We don’t want universal health care though, right?  We’d rather spend hundreds of billions of dollars on a military that doesn’t know what to do with itself so they fight and fight unwinnable wars that never end.  Now we want to go into Syria.  Does anyone see a problem with this fiasco waiting to happen?  It sure sounds an awful lot like Iraq.  I have supported Obama on several of his key issues, but I simply can’t support him in this measure.  I pray it’s voted down in the House and Senate.

No comments: