Sunday, August 16, 2015

Is My Arm Too Short?

I’ve been reading in Jeremiah lately and finished Isaiah a week or so ago.  I haven’t done an exhaustive study on the subject by any means, but I wonder how many times God said something along the lines of, “Is my arm too short?”  This is usually His answer to when prophets or others have doubts about God’s abilities and/or plans.

And yet we doubt Him for some reason.  Fear fills our minds with what might happen and God just simply asks us to trust Him.  Just this morning on the drive to church I confessed to Steffani how I was having self-doubt about my own capabilities.  And yet there God is, saying the same thing He has said throughout history, “Is my arm too short?”  You see, the problem is when I try and mistakenly put my confidence in myself versus in God.  A book explained it as us needing to have God confidence instead of self confidence.

In church we sing songs about how with God all things are possible; but do we really believe that?  Are we living in such a way that we fear God instead of our current circumstances?  Do we live courageously?

Make no mistake, God is able and willing to do amazing things in each of our lives and the world at large.  From our limited perspective the mountains we face seem impossible to climb over.  I’m willing to bet though that you can look back on your own life and see how God has moved mountains in your life.  I know He has done so in my life without a doubt.

When we face uncertainty then, perhaps a new approach might be to remind ourselves of the God we serve.  Perhaps that’s why Scripture is littered with commandments to remember Christ or forget not His promises and His deliverance from slavery in Egypt among other things.  Is His arm too short?  The answer has always been and always will be a resounding NO!

No comments: