As we get closer to moving overseas, I’ve started looking around and seeing what I have that I can get rid of. There are still several books I want to give away but want to read a few of them first. The less we have to move overseas the better in my humble opinion.
There’s an aboriginal saying I saw once that said, “The more you know the less you need.” A friend pointed out that if you have kids being minimalistic isn’t really a possibility anymore. She tries to live simplistically and I hope to do the same should we ever have children. For now though, I’m trying to get rid of just about everything besides clothes, luggage and some electronics.
The library is my new best friend; they even have a website where you can request any book or dvd they have on hand and they’ll hold it for you to come pick it up. A couple years ago I got rid of 90% of my books and it was like losing best friends. As stated before though, now I’m lighter and happier. It took a while to get over not having a small library of my own. Now with a kindle and a library though, a small personal library truly isn’t necessary.
The same applies to weight I suppose. The lighter I am typically the happier I am. If only losing weight was as easy as giving away books :)
Years ago I remember hearing someone talk about possessions in a way that made it so clear to me. He said something along the lines of, “There’s nothing wrong with possessions. You do need to ask yourself on occasion though if your possessions possess you rather than the other way around.” Man, that stuck with me.
When I taught kindergarten one of the main life lessons I wanted to teach 5 year olds was how to share things. Unfortunately many of us need to relearn that lesson many times throughout the course of our lives. Some people never learn how to share, and in my opinion they’re typically miserable human beings.
What about you? What do you find difficult to share? What is that one thing that if someone asked to borrow it you would either downright refuse or really struggle to let go of it knowing you might not get it back in original form?
As I write this for me it would probably be my Galaxy tab and laptop and smartphone. Those are the things that would be super difficult for me to share; so please don’t ask me to borrow them! :) Then I’ll have to actually work through my heart issues instead of just writing about them :)
No comments:
Post a Comment