Friday, August 7, 2015

Sharing is Caring

In 2011 I spent a few months in Sydney.  One of my fondest memories was spending time at the local Salvation Army downtown.  They had a time they called, “Sharing is Caring.”  It was where they would share what was going on in their lives as homeless people.

It got me to thinking about the concept as it relates to sharing other things.  As I said in a previous post, my most difficult things to share are my electronics.  Here are some other ideas I had while thinking about this tonight...

Here are some ideas of stuff people might find difficult to share…

  1. Electronics
    1. If your friend was taking a plane ride cross country and wanted to borrow your tablet, would you let them?
  2. Homes
    1. Do you use your home to bless others?  Many of my friends do an awesome job at this for whatever that’s worth.  But I do know from talking with them oftentimes it takes a lot of work and sacrifice to share that with others.
  3. Cars
    1. If someone needed to borrow your car for the weekend, could you let go of it for 48 hours or would you freak out like I would?  :)
  4. Time
    1. Do you share your time with people outside your immediate family?  There are hurting people everywhere, and sometimes the best gift we can give others is simply our time and a listening ear.
  5. Kids
    1. This one sounds absurd, but hear me out.  When a couple friends had their first baby, I got to hold him in the hospital.  It was the first time I could remember where I held new life in my arms.  My friends teased me and called me a baby hog because a relative had held the baby for a while and then I took him back because I wanted to hold him longer.
    2. It seems to me like people almost worship family time in their nuclear or extended families.  Their kind of like kid hogs, if you will.  Your kids have a unique opportunity to speak truth into the lives of other kids.  Are you willing to share your kids with other kids in the neighborhood, even when those other kids drive you nuts?

Well, that’s all I can think of for now.  Feel free to comment about any other thing you feel might be difficult for you or others to share.

No comments: