Sunday, August 11, 2019

Leading Your Family

This is certainly not a popular sentiment these days, but I believe men are called to lead their families well.  Often this idea has been abused by men to lord it over their wives and children.  The kind of leadership we're called to is just the opposite.  It's a self-sacrificing manner of leading.  We are to love and lead our families like Christ loves the Church.  That's a high calling.

Will we as believers step up and lead our families well?  Will we put their needs ahead of our own on a regular basis?  Will we consider their well being before our own?  I know I often fail at this but it doesn't make it any less of a goal.

When I first got married a little over 4 years ago, I thought sacrifice meant jumping in front of a bus to save my wife's life.  While that may be the case on a very rare basis, more often than not it's just serving and doing things that lighten your wife's load around the house or with the kids.  The chores that I hate to do, that's what I'm usually called to do, not jump in front of a bus or slay a dragon like in the movies.

And I need to do those chores with a cheerful attitude.  Easier said than done, right?  Some of the ways I try and lead and love my wife well are continually praising her.  Telling her how I feel about her is something I do on a regular basis.  This is easier for me than other men but no less necessary for any relationship.  

A few years ago I found my wife's three love languages were words of affirmation, gifts and acts of service.  We laughed because those three were tied for top spot.  Now I have plenty of ways to love her.  I can see that as impossible to do everything or I can see it as a plethora of opportunities to love her well.

I often pray for God to guide me to be a husband like Christ and a Father like Father God.  Thankfully I have plenty of examples given throughout Scripture to emulate.  My highest calling isn't serving as a missionary in whatever capacity, my highest calling is living on mission in my own home first.  If I can't lead my own home how can I possibly expect to lead outside of it?

No comments: