Traveling a week to the Dominican Republic affords me a certain perspective on culture I might not otherwise enjoy. One country is developed and the other still developing. One is the richest in the world and the other is not.
There is poverty in my home country too, it just looks different in a developing country as anyone who has seen both types of poverty can attest. It may surprise some, but there are parts of Dominican culture that I prefer to the states. For one, busyness doesn't seem to be worn as a badge of honor there like it is here.
GO ministries, the organization I work for, has a strong emphasis on mutual transformation. This is usually in regards to individuals or churches. I wonder what would happen if cultures dared to try something similar.
What could we learn from other cultures if we weren't so busy saying how we're the best country there ever was? What would we have to offer if we served as peace makers and known as a culture that truly listened to others?
Every country has strengths and weaknesses to be sure. I'd encourage anyone who is willing to get out there and explore some of the world beyond our nation's borders. We might just learn something in the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment