As I
sit here on a plane to Prague via London out of Chicago, the lady in front of
me is watching 12 Years a Slave. It was by far one of the most moving
cinematic features I've ever seen. Such raw emotion throughout, and
several things that made me think about current situations.
One
is immigration reform. There's a scene where a woman is torn from her
children and she just bawls her eyes out, as any mother would. Some
propose sending all the 'illegals' back home. The problem with that is
they would leave their children back here due to the opportunities we have
here. Watch that scene and pay close attention because it is exactly what
would happen if we deported them all as some on the political right suggest we
do.
Another
is how slave owners used the Bible to justify their beliefs in slavery.
It really makes me wonder if we do the same thing today toward
homosexuals. I bought a book called 'Slaves, Women and Homosexuals' and
how the Bible addresses each of them. It seems like we've realized slavery
and women's rights are okay but homosexuality is not. I truly wonder how
much of that is our culture and how much is from the Bible.
People
say we should follow the whole Bible. Then they apply that to certain
aspects only. I just finished the New Testament and am amazed once again
about how much it speaks against women in leadership roles in the church.
Many people say that's a cultural thing but homosexuality is a core principle
of a godly life or lack thereof but I'm not so sure.
Many
use the Bible to back up their own particular worldview, no matter how unloving
it may be. We're all guilty of this to some degree in my opinion.
That is why a position of humility is needed in regard to our approach to
Scripture and how we interpret it.
When
I searched Amazon for that book another one popped up that I want to read after
the first one about a complementarian's response to the book. So I'm
guessing he doesn't believe in slavery but believes in women not being in
leadership and no homosexuality either. I'm not sure, that's why I want
to read it. People often use Philemon as a defense of why slavery is not
okay in the New Testament any longer. There are other verses though that
tell slaves to obey their masters.
No comments:
Post a Comment