Right now, I'm en route to Chicago out of Springfield, IL via train. Over the next couple of weeks I will go from Chicago to Prague to Istanbul to Yangon. I am super excited about this.
Traveling has always seemed to be good for my soul. There's something about getting out on the open road. There are quite a few songs about traveling for a reason, right?
There are also down sides to traveling though I have to admit. The sleepless hours on a plane. The ensuing jet lag that is sometimes unavoidable.
For the most part though, I thorougly enjoy traveling. What's not to enjoy?? You get to go somewhere new to an exciting destination. Or you get to come home after an exciting time somewhere else. It's simply fantastic if you ask me.
If you're anything like me, traveling is an absolute joy. For one thing, you get to meet people from different cultures and nations, especially if you go overseas. Most places are friendly, unless they're a little shy due to not knowing English that well. If you try a few phrases in their language though, they are quick to accept you.
I also couchsurf, which I'm told is weird but I defend it as awesome and one of the best websites on the planet. I'm couchsurfing in Prague with Steffani coming up and can't wait! We will be staying with a couple of dear friends of mine but in the middle of our stay they are having a couple other guests so we needed another spot to stay. Cue in couchsurfing.org! I found a couple of hosts within 24 hours I think.
Couchsurfing ends up well 99% of the time. There was one guy once upon a time, in Prague ironically, who was annoying a little. He wasn't a bad person at all, just kind of annoying was all. If that's the worst that can happen and you save $100 a night, I can put up with a little annoyance now and again!
99% of the time though, I have an incredible time couchsurfing. I have met some of my favorite people through the website and now have contacts all over the world. It is an honor and a privilege to share life with these people, albeit on a shortened timeline typically. That is one of the things I will miss most about not having access to a house in Sarasota; is not being able to open it up to couchsurfers and meet people from Europe mostly.
Couchsurfing is one of those things that's a 'pay it forward' type of thing at its best. You host someone and then you surf. Or you don't host and still surf but leave a nice little gift when you leave. It's beautiful really, and it has been way to long since I've done it personally. Now I get to couchsurf with my beautiful girlfriend?! I can't even imagine anything being better!
Sometimes, and I think I'll probably experience it this time, culture shock can be draining. They say it typically takes about 6 months for that to set in really. So maybe I won't get it too badly this time around. I hope to be in Myanmar longer-term though, so it would inevitably happen I'm sure.
Part of the hard part of traveling for me currently is being away from Steffani for so long. We haven't seen each other face to face now in a little over three months and it's starting to wear on me. While I'm thankful for technology of course it just doesn't take the place of being in the same place as your loved one. I love Steffani so much and can't wait to be reunited with her in Prague. It will undoubtedly be a great time of getting to know each other even more and connecting on a deeper level face to face.
No comments:
Post a Comment