I wrote this on the flight from Istanbul to KL and am just now remembering to post it. Been in Yangon now since Tuesday and am loving it, except being apart from my love. Prayers are always appreciated. Thanks!
As of even a little over a year ago, I was one of the biggest advocates for independent travel. Not just independent travel but rather solo travel. I thought solo travel was the best thing a person could do with their time. Part of me still feels that way.
There is perhaps a better way to travel. Traveling solo is probably easier, but traveling together is more enjoyable. In days past, I used to tell people I didn't want to carry someone else's baggage, literally and figuratively, as the reason why I didn't like traveling with others. Now, although lugging baggage around still isn't my favorite, it simply doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would at one time. Stef even ended up carrying one of my bags to the airport when she saw me off in Prague which was hugely encouraging. I packed the bigger bags of course but having someone there to share the load really helped me a lot.
Similarly, when we went outside of the city to stay with a couchsurfer, I ended up carrying her luggage. I didn't mind hardly at all. Of course it was huge, but it felt like I was giving her a gift somehow. There were times of course where it got rather heavy and laborious to haul it up stairs of varying levels. Overall though, if it means I get to spend time with Stef than I'm more than okay with it.
Solo travel is easier in that you don't have to worry about anyone else. It does get lonely however. I still remember on my round the world trip periods of loneliness. It was one of the best decisions ever made; that being to travel the world. It wasn't without its difficulties though. If you've ever lived on your own for 8 months and traveled for the majority of that then you know keenly what I'm talking about.
Traveling together with someone is more enjoyable, provided you are madly in love with the other person. Steffani is a great partner to have in this life. We just simply enjoy one another's company. We prefer to be with each other as opposed to apart. She's quieter overall where I tend to chat more, but even sitting in silence is enjoyable with her.
The past 10 days in Prague opened my eyes to a lot of things. One of those was traveling with someone else. I've traveled with other people typically in group mission trips but never with just one other person I don't believe. As stated before, it's a thoroughly enjoyable time provided you have the right person to travel with. You have someone to share your experience with. Someone to ooh and ahh at marvelous sites with. Simply put, it's an incredible experience and one I look forward to replicating in the future with Stef.
No comments:
Post a Comment