Wednesday, February 4, 2015

New Beginnings, New Identity, Part 3

Writing from Jan 5th, cont...

2015 is a year for building.  Steffani and I are going to lay the foundation for our marriage and ministry.  We need to build both of those upon the Rock that never changes.  For some reason, I want to try and build some stuff in our new apartment (new to us, originally built in the 20’s or 30’s.)  NMSI has done a great job at remodeling the inside and furnishing it with new appliances and flooring.

Now I want to build on that.  It’s fairly small so I want to get creative with how we go about storing different things.  I have some ideas.  I’m sure there are DIY websites about how to do different things like that.  The problem is I’m about as handy as a freshman in shop class who has never held a hammer before.  Steffani’s dad, Dwayne, is a really handy guy; he built their house.  Hopefully he can show me how to do a thing or two when I present an idea to him.

I will also add here that there is YouTube as a friend recently pointed out.  However, YouTube doesn’t solve all your woes.  I watched a YouTube video no fewer than 5 times about how to change the lock on a door.  It took me 45 minutes and I still didn’t figure it out.  My good friend Soebeck finally had to come over and show me how to do it.  Yeah, it was turned upside down was the only problem.  It took him maybe 2 seconds tops to figure it out.

Do they offer shop-type classes for adults?  Maybe I’ll look into that in Ft. Myers when we get back.  I could sure use the help in that arena.  Several years ago I took swim classes at a public pool with master’s swim classes and that worked out great, albeit swimming next to a lady who was three times my age and put me to shame in the water.  Maybe it will be the same with this; wonder if I could get someone to pose as my dad and take the classes they offer for dads and kids at Home Depot or Lowe’s that my friends talk about?  I can just picture the amazing bird house I would make at one of those classes hahaha

Steffani and I are very different people.  I was talking to a dear friend the night before our wedding and saying how I thought we should be good.  Everyone always talks about how the first year is really tough.  My friend said he and his wife were fine; there were adjustments of course but overall they were fine.  I think Stef and I will be the same.  We will of course have to adjust but I really think we’ll be fine.  Maybe that’s just naivete speaking and I’m more than willing to admit that may just be the case.  We’ll see in about a year one way or another, won’t we?

With Steffani by my side, I feel like I can do anything.  She is so amazing and such an encourager.  After planning our wedding I am really encouraged that we make a great team.  She took on some things; I took on other things; and we both delegated a ton of the work to our friends and family.  She took on the vast majority of the planning to be sure with the decorations and details but I felt like I did a fair amount of helping out when she needed me to.

I couldn’t be happier with where we are at right now.  I’m so in love with Steffani now.  I’m sure the ‘in love’ feelings will ebb and flow over the years but we are fiercely committed to each other.  That’s what matters and what gets a couple through all the hard times ahead.  My parents have told me countless times that you must be committed to commitment to make it through.  Feelings are fickle and can’t be trusted too often.  Your commitment to God and each other are what count in the end.


A few weeks ago I was introducing Steffani to some friends at my home church in Sarasota.  After introducing her as my better half a friend remarked that she looked more like my better two-thirds.  When church was over I informed Steffani I was going to use that moving forward.  Ever since my friend suggested that observation, I’ve introduced Steffani as my better two-thirds.  It really fits us in my opinion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chris and I had a great first year. If anything, I feel like we are stronger and worked well together throughout the changes in our lives and are more in love now than we were a year ago. This year we moved to another state, a new job for him, a job search (on-going, while working a job in a completely different field) for me, not knowing a soul here, managing family visits, a sick grandmother, and a new pet, these things have all happened to us in our first year. They were the difficulties and adjustments, but if anything, I feel like with him, it was easy to overcome these things. Any one of these things would have been more difficult to handle without him. We don't let the other be frustrated or upset with the other about anything, even if it seems silly. We talk everything out. He's much better at it too. I am more likely to stay quiet until I can work out what I really want to say or how I really feel. He wants to fix it right away. We always try to understand the situation from the other persons perspective and to accommodate the things the other one needs or wants, even when it's not our favorite thing. Throughout each of the disagreements those lovey feelings, they do come and go, sometimes hour to hour, but love isn't going anywhere and neither are occasional disagreements. Maybe we are lucky to have had the changes too? I often think about something Roger said, the more you spend time with someone, the more you grow to love them. I always thought there was some truth to that, but after this year, I think it's completely true. I know for sure I am more in love after our year of marriage. :)