I wrote this on January 28th, so it was already late, then I forgot to post it! Ahh!!!
Due to a few extra happenings in
December, I realized during our honeymoon that I hadn’t made any resolutions
for 2015 yet. This, my friends, was an
issue. I made goals last year and for the
first time in as long as I can remember I actually hit most of them, 6 out of 8
to be specific. 75% is a passing grade
in my book! Some of them were “shoot for
the moon” type goals, and I even hit a couple of those thanks to God’s help.
So, I listened to the same
podcast I listened to in late 2013, got my pen and paper out and went to
town. I quickly realized I had too many
goals written. That’s one of the keys to
actually hitting your goals; not having an abundance of them. As I said, last year I had 8 goals
total. When I had finished brainstorming
I had 18, way too many to keep track of.
All 18 were good mind you, but if
you have 18 goals you really don’t have any.
It’s too many to keep track of.
Many business leaders have different categories to help you think of
goals. One of the guys I listen to
frequently suggested 7 categories so I went with that to help me focus. 7 seems like a lot of categories but some
goals easily overlap different ones.
The seven categories this
particular guy suggests are spiritual, financial, social, family, career,
physical and intellectual. As I said
before, you can make several goals that overlap categories so you don’t end up
with I don’t know, like 18 or so when you’re finished. After narrowing the list, I still have a
ton. I decided to prioritize and have 5
goals on the front of the card and the rest on the back. I carry the card in my wallet to remind me to
stay focused.
A lot of people also suggest
making SMART goals. SMART usually refers
to specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound. Sometimes people use different words for the
acronym but those are the usual words associated with it. The reason for using SMART goals is because
if goals don’t have at least a few of those than they will never happen.
For instance, you can make a goal
or resolution to lose weight. It’ll
never happen or at the very least has a much lesser chance of happening. If you say you want to lose 20 pounds by June
1st, then you have a higher chance of success. If you check in with someone regularly you
have an even greater chance of succeeding.
Even if you just record your weight on a regular basis it would increase
your chances.
Something I learned in my time in
Yangon was the importance of measuring things.
It was in regards to business plans of course but it makes sense in many
different areas. I will add a caveat
that many people are trying to measure students’ progress which sometimes makes
sense until we started measuring 5 year olds on a weekly basis for ‘data-driven
instruction.’ Even in the higher grades
a lot of the measurement tools we use are woefully inadequate and do nothing to
advance the overall goal of educating our students well. Some people think we just need to make better
tests but making the same tests that every teacher uses across the nation
hardly seems logical.
No comments:
Post a Comment