Sunday, July 28, 2013

Bipolar, Guns and Obamacare, part 1

Allow me to introduce myself.  First off, my identity is wrapped in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Secondly, I am an American citizen.  Please don’t allow either of those things to make you write me off so quickly.

Why, as an American who happens to have bipolar disorder, is it easier for me to buy an AR 15 than it is for me to buy affordable health insurance?  Perhaps I’m short-sighted and my mental illness is making an illogical argument; it’s happened before I do confess.  But maybe, just maybe, we can agree on some common sense legislation for guns and health care.  Otherwise we stay where we are currently. 

Alright, let’s get started now that I’ve given you a background.  As I said, I love Jesus with my whole heart.  That being said, I’m going to address both sides of both issues that are aforementioned in the title.  Two of my national representatives have sent email updates in the last week or so stating how they have supported legislation to repeal Obamacare.  I would humbly request that if you’re going to repeal it can you please at least keep the clause in there requiring health insurance providers to not discriminate based on preexisting conditions?

For supporters, I ask you to consider a few things.  Why should employers provide their employees health insurance?  They don’t provide car insurance, do they?  That’s solely because of tradition.  As a Christian, can you please agree that part of the law strikes out strongly against religious liberty; specifically requiring employers to provide insurance covering birth control even though it goes against their religious beliefs?  If we required pharmacists to pray with patients before they gave them their medication, would you be okay with that?

For opponents, I also ask you to consider a few things.  Why shouldn’t we require and mandate health insurance?  Many states mandate car insurance if you drive a car.  Shouldn’t we also mandate health insurance for people who have health?  A travel author stated he believed Europe wasn’t hard or soft on drugs but smart on drugs; perhaps we could be smart on health insurance?  Not health insurance covered by the government mind you but at least health insurance covered by private companies.  Are private car insurance companies struggling due to car insurance being mandated?


No comments: