This past weekend, I was privileged to go
with Ryan and Mary, and the other two interns to Inle Lake in Shan State.
It was 12 hours by bus to get there, but man was it worth it! We
started out by going to an orphanage and visiting one of the businesses that a graduate of Opportunities Now! has started there. It was such a great experience in
itself, but our experiences were only about to start as I would soon find out.
After we finished playing some games with
the orphans, we were taken away in a van back into town and found a hotel for
much cheaper than the one we had originally booked. This hotel was
phenomenal, worth way more than the measly $35 a night I paid for a single
room. We went out to dinner at a place called The Golden Kite that had
the best pizza I may have ever had. The owner started by showing us the
kitchen and how many ingredients were straight from Italy and showed us the
wood-fired stove where the pizza was made.
On our way back to the hotel, we got to
talking about malaria meds for some reason. My friend Ryan said he had
never gotten malaria which is really saying something as I'm pretty sure he's
traveled more than I have. He doesn't take malaria meds because he says
he'd rather have malaria than the hallucinations that they're known to cause.
I said I would much prefer the hallucinations after having had malaria
before. Little did I know that I would be tested on that little theory
very soon indeed. I dreamed that I was hallucinating, which I'm pretty
sure I was in my dreams, and it was the craziest thing I've ever experienced.
I mentioned on twitter how that may make some people stop taking their
malaria meds, but it made me want to double down. This of course made my
mom worry, but I called her and assured her everything was okay. A little
drug-induced hallucination never killed anyone, right? Oh wait, you mean
it has? Hopefully not any from malaria meds.
Yesterday, on Sunday, we got to have an
incredibly rich, cultural experience. We were whisked away on a boat and
first stopped off at Ryan and Mary's hotel that was on the lake, they had a
voucher from another couple so they got a free room for a night, how sweet is
that?! And the hotel was very sweet indeed I might add, looked amazing to
say the least. After that, we went on our way to the rest of the boat
tour that took us to a bunch of different shops along the way that were part of
what was called a 'floating market.' It was so amazing and encouraging to
see people still using the ancient ways of making various crafts and being able
to make a living off of their craftsmanship. We were reminded however,
how some art has been lost as in every civilization when a lady informed us
that that made the pipe handle but the part where you put the tobacco was found
and they don't know how to make that part anymore unfortunately.
Our first stop was a silversmith, where
the entrance lobby was used by the craftsmen purifying the silver by fire and
shaping it into many different types of jewelry. Their craftsmanship was
superb and definitely to be applauded.
However, with good craftsmanship comes a high cost, so I wasn’t
interested in trying to buy too much there.
Next up was a hand made paper shop. Now, I’ve always had a special liking for
hand-made paper from different places in the world for some reason, some might
call it a hobby or something. I was
enthralled when the lady showed me how they make their paper. First they soak the tree bark, followed by hammering
it out and then spreading it across a board by hand. They then add some local flowers to it and
dry it in the sun, very cool indeed.
They also had some kite lanterns made from the paper that you would put
a light bulb in to light them up.
After the paper shop we went to another
place that I’m not exactly sure what it was called but it had many different
things. We started by getting our
pictures taken with a couple of ladies there who had the bands around their
necks in order to lengthen their necks.
I was literally twice the size of these ladies, but one of them definitely
had a longer neck. The shop had many
different things, from woven goods to a bamboo stick used to make tattoos. We men found ourselves especially interested
in their collection of swords and knives, naturally. There were some really cool knives and swords
that were unique to the area.
Lastly, we went to the cigar making
shop. We saw these ladies making cigars
from cigar leaves and tobacco, both of which were harvested on the nearby
mountains they informed us. They were
surprisingly efficient at making them, and when I was offered a sweet tobacco
cigar I politely partook, even though I had never smoked a cigar before. My friends laughed at me as I attempted to
smoke it from the wrong end before it was lit; as I stated before I had never
had a cigar but nonetheless it was pretty funny when I realized my faux
paux. It was a surprisingly pleasant
experience, but I passed on the strong tobacco cigars she offered next. I bought a box of sweet tobacco cigars to
share with friends when I return home that I’m sure they’ll appreciate. As a side note, I had a nightmare of sorts
when I dreamed last night that I opened the box when I returned home only to
find crayons and sticks in place of the cigars.
I remember being furious in my dream, thankfully it was only a dream.
The boat tour was amazing to say the
least, and one not quickly forgotten. I
will cherish that particular memory for quite some time to come I’m sure. It was so fascinating and I can’t wait to
return some day. It was well worth it to
catch an overnight bus ride for 12 hours, although I definitely had my doubts
on the way there. Later today we will
take the bus ride back to Yangon, something I’m honestly not looking forward to
all that much. Like I said before
though, it was and will have been well worth it in the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment