There have been several times in
the past few years where I have heard others say and uttered the same words
myself. The saying goes something like
this usually, “How can you be a Christian and…”
Today, someone said they said they didn’t see how someone could be a
Christian and support abortion. I’ve
heard both sides of the political aisle say they don’t see how someone could be
a Christian and be a Democrat or Republican.
I’ve heard people say they don’t see how someone could be a Christian
and support the military. I’ve heard
people say they don’t see how someone could be a Christian and support gay
marriage. Does this sound familiar to
anyone else?
I am not going to pick apart each
of these sayings, that would take too long although maybe I’ll make a new blog
series addressing these sometime in the future.
What I would like to try and tackle here is the saying itself. It’s the equivalent of saying, “God told me…”
right? I mean, you’re essentially
playing a holy trump card, right? Rather
than having meaningful dialogue, we just throw that trump card out right at the
beginning of the discussion and consequently start on the wrong foot.
When we say things like this, we
imply that we are taking the moral high road and that Jesus is on our
side. We neglect to admit that following
Jesus is a messy process and leaves room for disagreement among believers on a
variety of matters. Some prominent leaders
would have us believe that of course there are some things that are debatable,
but there are certain ones that are not debatable. They then go onto tell us how women can’t be
in leadership or something similar.
I am all for meaningful
dialogue. Simultaneously, I love
arguing. Like I said before, I have been
guilty myself of saying something along the lines of how I didn’t know how
someone could be a Christian and do such and such or support whatever it was
they were supporting. The thing we need
to ask ourselves is what is our primary motivation? Is it to love someone, draw them closer to
Christ, or prove our rightness?
When we play a trump card like
either “God told me” or “How can you be a Christian and…” we presume the role
of judge either in society or our individual lives. Personally, I’m going to trust God to work it
all out in the end anyways. Furthermore,
I am more concerned with loving God and loving others on a deep level no matter
their views whether in Christianity or outside of my faith system. As for me, I’d rather be known as someone who
loved others well rather than as someone who argued well and was usually right.
What is more likely to display
Jesus to people, believers loving one another well or believers passionately
debating how one or the other is clearly in the wrong? They will know you are My disciples by your
passionate arguments. Wait, that’s not
what Jesus said I’m pretty sure. They’ll
know you are My disciples by what you’re against. Oh man, that’s not in there either. If only I actually knew what the Bible had to
say on the subject. Oh well, it eludes
me now. Wait for it, they will know you
are My disciples by your love for each other.
Was that it or something similar?
I mean, I’m not a Bible college grad so please correct me if I’m in the
wrong.
1 comment:
Justin, well said. If we aren't willing to dialogue and learn from others' perspectives because we already know everything ... then we really have a lot to learn.
That said, as an atheist it's really fun to say "How can you be a Christian and ..." I don't remember actually saying it, but I've definitely thought it! I guess that's me being judgmental. Something even a heathen like me tries to avoid :).
Post a Comment