If
you’ll indulge me to proceed, onto gun rights and gun control go I. I have had a change of heart in regards to this
recently due to a great article written by a gun owner who made some persuasive
arguments that made a lot of sense.
Again, perhaps the travel author’s saying can be applied to this as
well, not hard or soft on guns but smart on guns.
First
off, we need to recognize that by and large we’re too far gone for gun control legislation
to make much of a difference at this point.
As a gun seller relayed to this gun owning author, “What else can I pay
$400 for and have it passed onto my grandchildren in working condition?” In addition, a student has now made a 3D
printer model for an AR 15 that he has made available for free on the internet.
So,
what’s a smart way forward on guns?
Require gun safety classes as well as gun safes. Opponents of gun rights would probably argue
that what I just wrote is an oxymoron, but that is a fairly short-sighted view,
isn’t it? If we’re going to allow you to
own a gun, the least you could do is know how to handle it. You owe it to society as a whole to be
responsible with such a potentially dangerous weapon. As far as gun safes, this author said
something like 70% of gun deaths were made with guns that had been stolen. Again, please be responsible if you’re going
to have a gun.
For
supporters of gun control legislation, I want to ask you a few things. Do you think it’s wise to take guns out of
everyone’s hands except the criminals’ hands?
Guns are a reality in America, and the quicker we realize that the
better we are. I wouldn’t go so far as
to say the incredibly ignorant quote, “An armed society is a polite
society.” This is proved largely untrue
by anyone who has been anywhere overseas.
America is known for a lot of things outside her borders, I can assure
you our politeness isn’t one of them.
However, guns are just a part of America and always will be, and we
regress if we pass stringent controls that make it impossible to even own a
basic hand gun. Take Illinois as an
example, Chicago in particular to what happens when you implement strict gun
laws.
For
opponents of gun control legislation, I want to ask you a few things as
well. Would some very basic measures
such as background checks be such a terrible idea? Is it a strong argument for individual
freedom that an ex-con can easily buy an AR-15 at a gun show without so much as
a background check? Would it kill you to
pass a basic measure like that? I can
assure you it will kill you or others if we don’t pass a basic measure like
that.
Where
is this magical land where we enshrine gun rights but protest providing
healthcare for everyone? Where is it
implied wisdom that it’s better to give a person who has a mental illness
better access to potentially massacre-inducing weapons than it is to let them
have access to affordable health insurance so they can then buy affordable
medication to help ward off a mental collapse and the subsequent larger
likelihood of previously mentioned massacre?
Only in America, land of the free, home of the brave. Only in America, land of the armed, home of
the sick.
“Give me your tired, your poor. Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming
shore. Send these, the homeless,
tempest-tost to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
“I will provide them with all the guns they
could ever hope for, but not affordable health insurance!”
No comments:
Post a Comment