Friday, July 26, 2013

The "B" Word

Allow me to focus on bipolar disorder in particular, since that’s in my wheelhouse so to speak.  How many people have ever heard of one good thing a bipolar person ever did that made national news?  I am pretty sure I can offer a few examples of bipolar people causing some type of severe pain.  Such is the news though, right?  Maybe it’s the example of the Florida educator who got arrested for giving oral sex to a 14 year-old boy and was later acquitted on account of her being misdiagnosed as depressed when in reality she was bipolar.  Or maybe it’s the TV drama that starts out with a horrific crime only to have the mystery resolved by realizing the poor bipolar person had simply gone off his lithium. 

Either way, I dare say it’s fairly difficult to find a genuinely good news show or sitcom in how they address bipolar disorder.  Silver Lining Playbook did a decent job, unless you’re led to the conclusion that bipolar people all have a mate waiting in the wings who also happens to be bipolar.  That doesn’t sound like a particularly great idea, does it?  Gee, I’m bipolar so I guess I should seek out someone else who is bipolar, yep, that sounds like a great idea that will end well.

Thankfully, that has started changing albeit slowly.  I just read a thing where Catherine Zeta-Jones has been a reluctant spokesperson for people with bipolar disorder.  She may be reluctant, but at least she embraces her weakness and shares hope with others who have the same issues.  For every Catherine though, how many unmedicated lunatics are there in our country who are one simple stress trigger away from a massacre? 

I know, we shouldn’t have background checks for guns.  That way, it’s easier for a person with a mental illness to buy an AR-15 than it is for them to get health insurance and pay for their meds.  Yep, perfect sense, because by God I have my rights enshrined in the Constitution, and health care isn’t one of those rights!  Repeal Obamacare!  We don’t want people with mental health issues to have access to affordable health insurance so they can pay for their meds!  We’d rather have them untreated and accept the inevitable consequences of some of them committing atrocities.  We don’t want gun control either!  No!  Not even reasonable measures!  You can’t require a background check in order to purchase a gun, what are you, a friggin’ Socialist or something?  I’ll write more about that at a later date, rest assured of that.


Let me get back to the issue of bipolar.  I saw a wonderful documentary on Youtube dealing with bipolar disorder that was simply heartwarming and heartbreaking simultaneously; pretty perfect considering it dealt with bipolar disorder, right?  I think it was entitled Up/Down or something less than clever like that.  There was a woman who had a quote that was the best description of having bipolar disorder that I’ve ever heard of.  She said having bipolar disorder is similar to sitting in a boat and holding on to two strings.  One string has a kite and desires to lift you high above the reality of the boat.  The other string has an anchor on it and desires to bring you down to the depths of the ocean below reality.  Being bipolar is like holding onto both those strings and keeping a balance.  Perhaps the title of the documentary should’ve been Kites and Anchors with a picture of the tattoos that she had on her hands of a kite and an anchor, just a thought.  Almost anything would be better than “Up/Down” right?  Everyone’s a critic, including myself I suppose.  They did do a fabulous job of educating anyone who watches it about the disorder in a respectful way and I definitely appreciated it for that.

No comments: