Thursday, July 25, 2013

Teaching About Money

Yeah, exciting title, right?  Well, let’s get right into it then, shall we?  First off, I want to start out by saying my views have changed significantly in regards to wealth over the past few years especially.  With that in mind, I readily admit that I might be completely off base with what I’m about to share.  Please bear that in mind as you read this.  It is a dangerous responsibility to ask for the grace to teach others, isn’t it? 

I’ve preached about money and stewardship in my church and loved it.  I will say though, that although I enjoy the accolades just as much as the next guy, I often think I was probably closer to Biblical truth on the Sunday’s when I don’t get congratulated.  That’s a scary thought to embrace, isn’t it?  It really boils down to your primary motivation, doesn’t it?  Is your motivation to bring glory to God and make much of Jesus or to bring glory to yourself?

For some reason, people like to think this doesn’t happen; that preachers sometimes teach for their own self-worth as opposed to just bringing the gospel for the glory of God.  Well, let me reassure you that it happens way more than any of us want to acknowledge or admit.  It doesn’t start out that way of course, please don’t mishear me on that.  Preachers have the best of intentions usually.  They have a fire burning in their souls that must be let out.

However, do you think preachers and teachers are exempt from temptation?  From my limited experience, if anything, preachers and teachers face more temptation than anyone else.  I can usually tell when I’m really on fire for God because shortly thereafter I face an unusual amount of temptation that I’m simply unprepared for and not anticipating it at all; although it has become a pattern so I need to watch out for it more often. 

Let me be perfectly clear here.  Whenever I’m asked to preach on money or any other subject, I see it as a great chance to share some Biblical truths with God’s people about money.  In spite of this, sometimes my sermons just plain suck and do nothing to advance the kingdom of God nor challenge anyone to grow deeper in their relationship with Christ.  Thankfully, my pastor and best friend is patient with me and allows me more chances to teach/preach.  It takes practice, just like anything else.  Sometimes you’re going to hit it out of the park, and sometimes you’re going to be left wondering if you said anything that even mattered.

Whenever I’m asked to teach on money, I count it an incredible honor and an incredibly dangerous proposition.  An incredible honor because I think this is a hugely lacking area of teaching and practice among God’s people in my church and the West in general.  An incredibly dangerous proposition because what if you’re simply wrong?  What if all the study you’ve done on the subject, from the Bible verses you’re going to use to the podcasts you listen to; from the books you read on personal finances pointing towards a Biblical view of stewardship to the classes you’ve even attended to get a better understanding of how God and money work; what if in spite of all this you’re just plain wrong?


I mean, there are a million and one ways to view money based on different Scriptures, surely we can agree on at least that, right?  Personally, I tend towards what I consider a more balanced view of money with a definite lean towards idealism in my life and the lives of my fellow believers.  That being said, if you look at Jesus Christ Himself and His teaching on money, it wasn’t exactly balanced, was it?  He commended the widow for her mite that she put in the offering.  He told the rich young ruler to sell all his possessions and give to the poor.  A tax collector met with him and as a result gave away half of all he owned and paid back anyone he had cheated four times the amount.  He told a disciple to get the tax out of a fish’s mouth for crying out loud!  Can someone please point me to a verse or two that shows a ‘balanced view’ on money that came out of the mouth of our own Savior?  This should probably concern us at least a little bit, right?

No comments: