Sunday, August 11, 2013

Business in Haiti

This past weekend I contacted a school in Haiti that sounds like it does something similar to what I want to do, albeit on a much longer time frame of about a year.  Here we have classes for 5 weeks followed by a week of computer classes and then a 6 week internship.  During that time they draw up their business plans and we help them launch.  Starting a small business is probably similar to anything else, you learn heaps more while you’re in the trenches as they say.

With this in mind, I contacted the school in Haiti to see if I could get involved from a distance.  The head emailed me and I need to get back with her so hopefully we can arrange a mutually beneficial relationship.  I told her I was interested in investing in one of the students so hopefully we’ll head down that road.  There’s another guy in Haiti I read a BBC article about who has made cookstoves and is employing 30 of the people there.  He’s looking to expand and get a warehouse as the first one was wrecked in the earthquake a few years ago.  I follow his company on Twitter and need to see about contacting him firsthand as well as I think what he’s into is super exciting.  He said one of his employees is now about to buy a house after 3 years of working for him and he sees that as a success.  Those are humble words in my outlook; that’s a huge and remarkable success!  If he’s able to purchase a warehouse, he’s looking to employ 400 Haitians, how incredible would that be?!

There’s another company still that I’ve started following on twitter as well entitled SOIL I think.  They work with farming techniques I believe and enriching the soil of Haiti.  They might also work with planting trees but I’m not sure on that front right now; I’ll have to check when I get a chance.  Either way, it’s exciting stuff, right?  I mean, that’s where my heart and passions find themselves all of a sudden; providing jobs for Haitians.  Specifically helping Haitians launch their own businesses. 

Recently I must admit I’ve also considered Cuba as a place to potentially set up shop for a few reasons.  The main one is that Havana is very close to Tampa.  I realize that sounds silly, but when you hate driving as much as I do it starts to make sense.  Maybe as they continue to slack sanctions towards Cuba hopefully I’ll have a better chance of getting in there, who knows?  Of course if my great senator Marco Rubio, cough cough, has anything to say about it we’ll just continue to place a crazy amount of sanctions on the account of a few.  If we were serious about sanctions in order to change countrys’ behaviors, why aren’t we sanctioning China?  Yeah, there’s more at hand there, isn’t there?


Haiti will always have a special place in my heart ever since I went there in 2010 following the quake though.  I just don’t know if it’s a viable option due to all the NGO’s and such providing everything for free.  How do you sell something when that something is being given away for free by some foreign NGO?  Just this past month I saw a couple of good friends start a Facbook page where they’re going to collect 25,000 pairs of shoes to send down there.  That is simply heartbreaking in my book and will do so much to enable the Haitian people, not empower them.  As a result of this, I’ve sought out a Haitian friend on Facebook who is currently making sandals and selling them right there in Haiti.  Hopefully I can help her somehow or at the very least learn from her and her perspective.

No comments: