We have an art show every year in
Sarasota put on by the schools entitled, “Embracing Our Differences” that I
love to go to if it happens to be where I know it is like it was this past
year. There is something to be said for
embracing our differences. Sometimes
though, we are not called to embrace differences but rather to speak truth
where it needs to be spoken. Think of
hate-laced groups here. Would it be wise
to embrace neo-Nazi groups or rather to speak truth and love into their
individuals?
Sometimes it helps to meet people
on a safe playing field so to speak, doesn’t it? Some people would never darken the doors of a
church but would absolutely come over for dinner. Who doesn’t like free food, right? It concerns me that most of my friends are
Christians now. In college I had a ton
of atheist and agnostic friends but now I hardly have any. The few that I do have I simply adore which
is why I think I need more of them. The
onus is squarely on my shoulders to make it happen though, isn’t it?
Our poor politicians, where do
you even start? Our nation is largely
divided over so many issues; I don’t envy them at all. My dad has brought up to me before that for
the presidency at least there’s been a lot of talk through the years of having
one six year term as opposed to two four year terms. That might be a good idea for every politician,
just one term. I don’t know what the
answer is though, I really don’t.
Perhaps if they didn’t spend the last two years of their incumbency
trying to secure their next term they’d be less likely to be quite such idiots?
I’ve also mentioned before how I
think the way forward for any two people of varying opinions to reach
understanding is to spend time with the other person. That’s where politicians and the rest of
society should start. Lay out some
ground rules on how you’re going to fight fairly like people have to do with
their spouses and then go from there.
I’ll never forget when I was in the DR with other liberal teachers and
one lady in particular was shocked when I stated that 95% of my friends were
conservatives. It’s because we share a
common faith, which is more important than our political stances, I explained
to her.
How do we care for the poor in
our churches? The first step is to get
to know some poor people. This is very
difficult to do because we’re comfortable in our own little socioeconomic
circles and dare not stray away from those circles. If we’re truly looking to help the poor
though, don’t you think we should get to know them first? Know the other and try to understand the
other, whoever that ‘other’ might be.
That, my friends, is the way forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment