Friday, August 9, 2013

Job creation = construction

A third weapon of mass construction is job creation.  Why is this needed?  There are several benefits from job creation, the main one being the dignity that is restored in the people who have been given jobs or the abilities to make their own jobs.  Entrepreneurship must lie at the heart of economic development.  If we aren’t empowering locals to be entrepreneurs then we are ultimately wasting our precious resources on the black hole known as aid.  Some aid is needed of course, but when no one is creating jobs or providing skills for the locals to create jobs, then ultimately you’re just wasting your time and spinning your wheels.

Do you really think creating dependency is a way out of poverty?  If not, then what is the way out of poverty and out of dependency?  Well, the obvious answer is you have to help create independence.  Not independence from one’s community but rather independence from outside help.  In a word, independence from charitable donations.  Bob Lupton wrote a book that I can’t wait to read called Toxic Charity that I’m sure deals with some of these same ideas.  Even from the title alone you can start thinking along the ways we should be thinking.  Is this charity toxic?  What can be done to make it non-toxic?

The only way forward for an economy to develop is through job creation.  The Chinese are trying to develop some parts of Africa, but is it true development?  Or are they merely exploiting their resources for their own country?  Are they putting any locals to work?  Similarly, what about Western NGO’s in developing nations?  Are they putting any locals to work?  Are they empowering locals to start their own businesses?  If not, then we need to pull their funding.  The goal of any NGO should ultimately be to put itself out of business in my opinion.  As I laughed with my girlfriend earlier today, I am certainly known for airing my opinions.  What do most NGO’s exist for?  To help a poor community or country, right?  Why wouldn’t the goal be to put themselves out of work ultimately then?  At the very least they should look to become self-sustaining.


The other night I started doing some research on entrepreneurship schools in Haiti because that’s ultimately what I want to do someday.  There was one that I found that was legitimately educating Haitian youth to start their own businesses.  I’ve emailed the head and am hoping to be able to go down and visit sometime to see the school in progress.  There’s also a woman entrepreneur who I’ve friended on Facebook recently.  The reason for that friendship is two-fold.  One to try and stop some well-meaning friends from doing a shoe drive for Haiti and two to try and help this entrepreneur out however little way I can to help put soles on the feet of as many Haitians as possible.

2 comments:

Entrepreneur India said...

Amazing post, this post will really helpful for everyone. The popularity of franchise business is increasing day by day as it lead to the popularity of the business all over the world.
Entrepreneur India

Anonymous said...

I don't know what it's like in other parts of Africa, but the Chinese in Liberia have been here since Ellen Johnson Sirleaf took office, 2005 I think, so about 8 years, and their doing a lot of construction projects around the country, mainly roads. They share the compound with SP, and do employ a ton of locals. I think the Chinese rotate in and out to manage the projects, but do hire a lot of Liberians to do the manual labor. I guarantee their intentions aren't altruistic, they're here because there's something in it for them too, but they came in just after the war and helped to boost the economy and provided jobs. Now whether they're fair wages, ?? With NGOs like SP, there are something like over 300 jobs provided to locals, so the vast majority of our staff are Liberians. But they're not helping Liberians create original jobs that are sustainable in country- the jobs would obviously collapse if SP pulled out. So, in essence, your right, job creation should happen based on what a community says its needs are, and it should happen at the local level (maybe with the help of well-intentioned NGOs) but be able to be sustained at the local level. Sorry for the long-winded reply hon, all that to say, thought-provoking posts lately!