Back in February or March, I hosted a couchsurfer from Switzerland. Her name was Sara, and we became fast friends. She loves traveling and exploring new ideas, and I love hosting my home city. Couchsurfing is where there's this website that you go on and book a room so to speak at someone's house who is living in another city that you happen to be traveling to. It's a fantastic way to meet locals who can then tell you the hot spots of where to go and share meals with you too if you're lucky enough to do so. This may surprise or even shock you but I usually cook for my guests. My two main, well only really, dishes are a spicy Moroccan fish with oous cous and a chicken fajita. Admittedly, I need to expand my horizons; but for as often as people come that seems to be enough because they usually stay for just a couple nights or so.
Back to the original story; Sara loved America for the most part. We laughed at how she loved driving here because she rented an SUV and it made her feel taller. She said everything in America was bigger than what she's used to in Europe. I replied that bigger is not always better. It is nice though to grow up with your own space if you're blessed enough to have a yard. Indeed, everything usually is bigger in America; I'm about to be reminded of that fact when I return home here shortly.
The first night she arrived, we went to a friends' house for a traditional American BBQ. I mean, talk about introducing a new Swiss friend to some real Americana, right? We actually came a little late to share the actual grilling out, but thankfully they shared their leftovers with us and we left some chicken for them. Sara brought dark chocolate from Switzerland; so I had a blast sharing that with my friends' kids and seeing their eyes light up as they were introduced to some real chocolate for the first time.
After we finished eating, my friends thought it would be a good idea to check on the fire they had made. They had made a traditional bonfire in addition to grilling meat. Like I said, this was a real piece of Americana. To top it all off, as we were walking out to the fire, I mentioned to Sara that I bet they were carrying their guns. She didn't believe me so I asked them and they gladly showed off their guns. My new friend Sara was a bit startled to say the least. One of my friends assured her she was in the safest place in America.
Now that's what's known as a different perspective, isn't it? She was practically terrified and he was thinking it was the safest place she could possibly be. Americans are known for out defense of guns over just about everything else. We won't give you healthcare but if it's a weapon you want than we'll defend your right to the death by God. It's our second amendment after all.
Whether you think guns make you safe or not, personally I don't, I want to try and persuade my fellow Americans who happen to own guns to do us a favor and lock up your guns when you're not using them. One survey conducted showed that as many as 70% of the guns used by violent felons are stolen. Of course gun laws aren't going to make criminals stop buying guns; but can you at least do your part so they don't end up with them please? I think you owe it to the rest of society to be a responsible gun owner, don't you?
There's an underlying debate as to whether weapons make one safer or not. I happen to think that they don't. The classic argument is that what if someone broke into your house and wanted to steal something and they had a gun. First off, I don't really own too much that would be worth stealing in the first place. Secondly, it's just stuff, you get that, right? It can all be replaced very easily. Very rarely do people come out of a situation and think to themselves, "Whew, I'm glad someone had a gun in that situation." What's smarter, to let someone steal your stuff or go down in a gun battle.
Another argument if for single women to have a gun to protect themselves. Let me ask you something really quick. If a 200+ pound man came charging at a 100 pound girl, do you really think she'd have the wherewithal to grab her gun in a moment's notice?
While I don't think guns make you safer, I will give you that you have the right to own one. Can we please pass some commonsense background check laws though? Would it make it that much of a nuisance? And for Pete's sake, can you please lock up your weapon when you're not carrying it?
No comments:
Post a Comment