What’s a WMC? I’m glad you asked. In its very essence it’s the opposite of a
WMD. Whereas a WMD is a weapon of mass
destruction, a WMC is a weapon of mass construction. Perhaps a weapon isn’t the best adjective,
but it’ll have to do for now since that’s that we’re used to thinking of in
regards to destruction and thereby drawing upon its opposite construction. Let’s break down some potential WMC’s, shall
we?
This was inspired by a couple of
famous people who have long since passed away.
Mark Twain said something along the lines of ‘mankind’s only real weapon
is laughter.’ Helen Keller persuaded the
people of her time to be an army of construction, not one of destruction. When I read Twain’s quote in particular, it
made me laugh and I even tweeted the thought that my friends might consider me
to be a weapon of mass destruction if that were the case. You see, I’ve been told by many people that
my laughter is a gift. Others, not as
vocal thankfully for my small ego, I’m sure view it as a curse. I never really developed an adult laugh is I
think what the basic problem comes down to.
I never learned how to hide my laughter very well. Instead, I just kept a young child’s type of
laughter, that being a laugh of pure/not holding back anything type of
laughter.
How can laughter be a weapon of
mass construction? For starters, it does
wonders at breaking down cultural barriers.
Admittedly, I have laughed at inopportune times when serving
cross-culturally, but more often than not laughter is an aid to breaking down
people’s defenses and walls that we’re all so prone to hide behind. If you’ve lived any length of time past your
elementary school years, you have undoubtedly had your trust broken. The natural consequence of having your trust
broken is that we build up walls to keep it from happening again. What can tear down those said walls? There are a few ways, only one of which is
truly reliable. You can force someone to
tear down their walls, although that probably won’t last long at all if it’s
successful in the first place. Or you
can love someone until the walls come tumbling down. Laughter and love go hand in hand in my
opinion. Those who love, laugh.
If you want to know if a child is
comfortable around you, one of the main ways to tell is to see if they laugh
around you. Either due to something you
said that made them laugh or if something else made them laugh, if a child
laughs around you, rest assured that the child feels safe around you. My friends’ kids are good examples of
this. They are very comfortable around
me because we all laugh together. Why do
we so often lose this ability as adults?
People annoy us of course as we get older. Perhaps if we tried to laugh with our
annoying coworkers, it would be a weapon of mass construction in building a new
friendship where we once thought one could never exist.
No comments:
Post a Comment