If and when we decide to fight
global crises, we will be led into danger to be sure. Dangers of diseases, being hated by locals in
some cases, being abandoned by families in other cases which I’m incredibly
thankful that I have not personally been abandoned by my family but as stated
earlier always been supported hugely by them.
If we put ourselves in the crosshairs of natural disasters and
crime-ridden areas, we will face danger on every side. I will add though that we will most likely
feel more alive than ever. Every summer
I go abroad this happens. While I don’t
necessarily face danger per se, I know from experience that no matter how much
malaria medication you take you can still easily contract malaria when
traveling overseas. In addition to this,
every summer I come alive somehow. It’s
almost as if I’m awakened from a dreary existence of a half-life to what I was
meant to do.
Overseas living isn’t for
everyone of course, but I would say that if you’re a believer and there isn’t
some element of danger in your life than you’re definitely losing out on some
very important aspects of the Christian walk.
If your desire for safety leads you to not follow God’s calling be it to
take that homeless man or woman out to lunch or to take a 90 minute flight into
Haiti, than something is vastly wrong with your heart and mind and you need to
repent. Again, not everyone is called to
go overseas necessarily, but there should be some element of danger in your
life or at the very least some element of getting out of your comfort
zone. As my friend Sara Norton once
wrote, when you’re out of your comfort zone is when you grow the most. You suddenly rely on God for everything in a
brand new way. And it is beautifully
terrifying.
Many of my friends are getting
turned on so to speak to human trafficking.
This is a beautiful development to be sure. That is something we need to be fighting
against. My home church is supporting an
organization called Rapha House who is fighting human trafficking in
Cambodia. I was hoping to be able to go
over there this summer but plans fell through.
I’m sure they’re doing outstanding work in the fight against
traffickers. Those men should be sent to
prison. I would add though that they
shouldn’t be killed. I’m strongly
against the death penalty in any case as I sincerely believe people should be
given the chance to repent and come to Jesus.
Sometimes that takes longer than in other cases so therefore we should
give them as much time as possible. With
that in mind, who is going to go to the prisons to preach the gospel to former
traffickers? That is a dangerous calling
indeed.
A lot of my friends are also
getting involved in orphan care. This is
another global crisis that demands our attention. I read of a church or network of churches in
Oklahoma I believe that was either successful or right on the brink of success
in terms of adopting every single child out of the foster care system. How beautiful is that?! Someday I want to adopt kids of my own if it
comes to that, I’d much rather adopt than have my own. That’s a personal preference to be sure, and
one I’ll have to work out with Steffani down the road I’m sure.
A friend told me that both having
your own children and adopting children are Biblical. To this I replied you’re right, but one is
definitely more New Testament than the other.
All throughout the New Testament it talks about God adopting us as His
sons and daughters. What better way to
show that love to the world than through the means of adoption?
No comments:
Post a Comment