Thursday, August 1, 2013

Empowering or Enabling?

As I said before, I have no doubt about these wonderful organization’s intentions.  They are unquestionably well-meaning in their altruism.  I simply want to put forth the idea that perhaps charity and aid aren’t the way forward in developing a country.  Admittedly, I have been largely influenced by a few main books.  One is entitled The Aid Trap, another one is Dead Aid and a third one is When Helping Hurts.  I’ve also tried to tackle a couple of books by an author whose name currently eludes me, but they’re titled White Man’s Burden and something else which I can’t recall now either.  These books are all largely depressing at first when you realize you’ve done exactly some of the things they talk about as the things you shouldn’t do.  If you can stick with them though, they will challenge you and motivate you to do the most good possible in your service to humanity.

It’s difficult though, isn’t it?  I went on a trip to Haiti at the beginning of the summer that was a great trip, but one thing really stuck out to me in particular.  A young man who was interning there told us about a survey he had compiled from parents in the community.  The reason was to see how they could help these parents be better parents.  The first question was, “What would make you a better parent?”  In response every single parent said if they had a job.  So, what does this well-intentioned young man do?  He goes ahead with the original intent of having parenting classes.  Why would you even do a survey if you’re not willing to listen and respond differently than you originally had planned?  I admire your heart to help parents become better parents, but maybe it would serve you well to listen to them and try and address the more pressing need?

As I see more and more people in my local church as well as the Western church in general gain a heart for missions, two thoughts occur.  First thought is that it’s about time and hugely inspiring.  The second thought is that if I can keep them from making the same mistakes I did early on in my eagerness to serve the least of these, than it is my responsibility to do so.  The obvious risk and side effect of wanting to help people think more long term about development and truly helping is that I am viewed as a “Negative Nancy” or “Debbie Downer” and I totally understand this.  It is my hope that you will hear my heart in this.  Know that I am coming from a sincere place of wanting to help locals as well as people in my church and the Western church in general be able to truly empower others around the world. 

By all means, go to the furthest places in the world to serve the least of these.  Fundraise and inspire others who are your support team with stories from the field and how it has changed your heart.  Please do that, we need more of it everyday.  However, never settle for what you already know.  Keep probing, keep praying, keep being broken-hearted and motivated to do something.  Out of your broken-heartedness, research and ask questions to people in the field as to what is the best way forward.  You might be surprised at what you learn.


Here are some final thoughts for you to consider as I conclude.  What is the best way to love someone?  Should you empower and equip them to provide for themselves, or should you provide for them?  Which is going to create more dignity for a person in need; creating a job for them or ‘blessing’ them with countless handouts? 

No comments: