Tools that are brought about by
technological advances are another example that has clearly good and harmful
consequences simultaneously. Whenever
you create a new technology, you have creative destruction. Luddites are a name given to people who are
resistant to technological advances. As
I understand it there was a man named Ludd who broke sewing machines in
response to being out of a job all of a sudden due to the machines. Farming is another obvious example. We have done amazing things with higher and
higher yields, but how many perfectly happy farmers have then been relocated to
factory jobs in urban areas that they now hate?
Technological advances usually
make life easier, but at what cost? I
can contact literally anyone in the world from my iPhone now, but how often
does that steal from the current face to face time I’m trying to share with
friends in my present world. I can tell
you write now my two roomies are watching a movie while I write this blog on my
laptop. Not that a movie is likely to
draw us really close to one another, but you get the idea.
Look at the advancement of
transportation over the past 100 years.
We can now travel at ease to anywhere else in the world for relatively
cheap compared to even 20 years ago. If
we’re not careful though, we neglect to lay roots down and become established
in a local community. It’s a tough rope
to walk as someone who travels a fair amount; I can guarantee you of that. 100 years ago though, how many people ever
dreamed of how the middle class of any country would be able to literally
travel around the world on a whim? People
keep saying the world continues to shrink.
This is not literal but figuratively we shrink all the time. Right now I’m in Yangon, Myanmar. Tomorrow I will hopefully speak to my
girlfriend in Liberia and my mom in the USA.
In the past week, I’ve spoken on facebook to someone in Liberia,
Illinois, Florida, Turkey, New Zealand, Amsterdam and Prague. Think about that for a moment! I’m certainly not anyone famous, and I’ve
talked to people in 6 different countries within a week’s time!
Now let’s talk about the
potential downsides. How many youth know
how to carry a regular conversation in person with someone else? My friend informed me she had read a study
where video games lead to the same kind of addictive behavior that hard drugs
can. If you don’t believe me, take the
iPad out of your child’s hand the next time they’re in the middle of their
favorite game. Better yet, don’t let
them save their current level. The very
social networks we’ve all come to love have lent themselves to unprecedented levels
of bullying that we can’t make laws fast enough to deal with. Social networks like Facebook can easily lead
to affairs as my friend often reminds me as to the reason he doesn’t have a
Facebook page.
No comments:
Post a Comment