Friday, August 23, 2013

The sacredness of food

There’s almost something sacred about food, isn’t there?  It draws people together that may never have otherwise had anything in common.  There were a couple interns here this summer that saw differently on just about everything under the sun.  However, in spite of this they were able to enjoy meals together at the house every day.  This led to a greater understanding and respect on both their parts I believe.

I do have to say I prefer meals in a house as opposed to a restaurant.  It’s an even more intimate setting and if you get to make food together than all the better.  I don’t typically make too much food to eat, except when I have couchsurfers over.  Than I love to cook; I have about three main dishes I choose from.  There is the spicy Moroccan fish dish that I love, the chicken fajitas that I make, well, maybe there are just two dishes.  It works out though because most people just stay for one or two nights.

My friends and their wives are all wonderful cooks, even when they don’t think so or one is slightly critical of the other, usually in jest or at least hopefully.  I used to live with a lady named Debbie who loved to cook for her son and me when she had the chance to.  Let me tell you, we loved it when she had the chance too!  We would devour this type of fish called suchi I think, not sushi but it was some type of white fish that she’d make in Italian bread crumbs.  We followed that up by her scrumptious brownies and usually added ice cream just for good effect and full satisfaction.


Some people really show their love by providing others with food.  They love to host others in their home and are wonderful at doing so.  Food is almost always associated with hosting.  Even when I go over to my friends Josh and Missy’s house to hang out and catch a movie we usually will have food of some sort even if it’s just a little snack to chew on during the movie.

No comments: