A while back, I did a few blogs
on weapons of mass construction, and I’d like to follow along in those
footsteps here if you’ll oblige me.
First off, I think I came up with a better term as tools of mass
construction instead of weapons; but that’s what I had thought of at that time
so I’m just going to leave it as that.
Anyhow, there are a ton more that I have listed on my notes where my
blogs usually begin so I’m going to pursue some of those ideas here for a bit.
Understanding is another tool of
mass construction. I will point out that
it’s rather interesting to see when a Christian is misunderstood by some
attacking atheist. I just saw a couple
things in some major newspaper about how some major name in science had said
she supports the idea of creationism and was lambasted by the scientific
community. Hmm, don’t they pride
themselves on being so understanding?
Another thing that is simply
heartbreaking to me is that many Christians are not understanding of others’
religious or otherwise held beliefs.
Sometimes this is a broad stereotype that we all get put in with, but
other times it’s warranted in the case of a few believers. They say hate-filled speeches after major
catastrophes and all of us end up looking like small-minded bigots as a result.
If you’re an atheist or an
agnostic, I think you owe it to your individual Christian friends to not lump
us all together into the same boat. Some
Christians are more understanding than others surely, right? One of the areas I’ve seen this played out is
in regards to gay marriage. Some
Christians say it’s just the worst idea ever while many of their own flocks
have a 50% divorce rate or higher. Other
Christians are fighting for gay marriage to be passed. This is an issue that divides even my parents
and I. When my dad asked what I thought
about passing gay marriage I said I supported it. When I said if you’re going to prevent one
set of sinners from getting married for one particular sin than you should
exclude every person from marrying because of the sin in their life, he seemed
utterly confused and said those were obviously different things.
So, how does understanding play
itself out in real life? Some would
argue that understanding leads to embracing, but I don’t necessarily agree with
that. I can understand extreme Muslims
without embracing them. You may ask
yourself how I can understand extreme Muslims, allow me to articulate
here. I understand the appeal of extreme
Muslims to followers when they come back to a place that has been overrun with
an occupying military and they promise that they will attack the
occupiers. Of course they’re going to
flock to the extremists.
Similarly, I can also understand
why a lot of people in the Middle East see our country as one of extreme
Christians. Does anybody need to be
reminded of the ‘Shock and Awe’ campaign in Iraq? Of course they see us, or at least our
military, as extremists. There’s
something that I struggle with understanding I suppose, is why we see it as
such a shock when ordinary Muslims view our military as extremists but we see
our military as the good guys in spite of certain things that have gone down in
the wars lately.
No comments:
Post a Comment